Immigration information for the family of George and Ann Quayle Cannon

CANNON, George, Sen. <1797> Sidney 1842

Age: 45 Occ: Joiner

CANNON, George, Jun. <1827> Sidney 1842

Age: 15

Ship: Sidney

Date of Departure: 17 Sep 1842 Port of Departure: Liverpool, England

LDS Immigrants: 180 Church Leader: Levi Richards

Date of Arrival: 11 Nov 1842 Port of Arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana

Source(s): Church Emigration Manuscript of 1842 (HDA); Letter of John Greenhow, Times and Seasons, 4:6 (Feb. 1, 1843), pp. 91-92

Notes: "EMIGRATION. -- Three vessels have been dispatched by us since the 15th of September. The Sidney, containing 180 souls, the Medford, 214, and the Henry, 157. . . ."

<MS, 3:6 (Oct. 1842), p.112>

"FIFTEENTH COMPANY. -- Sydney, 180 souls. On Saturday, September 17th, 1842, the ship Sidney, Captain Cowen, sailed from Liverpool, with one hundred and eighty Saints on board, under the direction of Elder Levi Richards, bound for Nauvoo, via New Orleans. George D. Watt the first man baptized in England, who emigrated with this company, writes from New Orleans, under date of November 13th, 1842, as follows: 'We have had a passage of fifty-six days -- fine weather -- with a kind captain and crew, who allowed us every reasonable privilege. There have been five deaths out of the company, and one sailor who fell from the yard arm and was killed. The dead are: Brother Yates' eldest child, Sister Cannon, (mother of President George Q. Cannon,) Brother Browne's child and two children belonging to a man who is not in the Church. We stuck up on the sand bar at the north of the river (Mississippi) thirty-four hours. About two hours after we got off, the Medford came on the bar, where she stuck thirty hours. We landed here (New Orleans), on the eleventh instant and the Medford arrived today the thirteenth. She lies about ten yards from us. * * * We have taken one of the largest and best steamboats in this port. We pay two dollars and fifty cents per head, and twenty-five cents per one hundred pounds above the weight allowed each person, which is one hundred pounds. We are all going up together; i. e. The Sidney and Medford passengers.' After tarrying three days at New Orleans, the emigrants embarked on the steamer Alexander Scott and made rapid progress till they had passed the mouth of the Ohio River, when they ran aground and remained fast three days. After getting clear again they continued the journey to within ninety miles of St. Louis, where the vessel had to remain three weeks for want of water. When the emigrants finally arrived at St. Louis, it was the dead of winter, and the river being frozen up above that city, it became necessary for the Saints to remain there for a while until communication opened up again with the towns on the upper Mississippi. Without much difficulty houses and provisions were secured, and the remainder of the winter was spent quite comfortably in St. Louis. In April, 1843, the journey was continued to Nauvoo."

<Cont., 12:12 (Oct. 1891), pp.445-46>

"Sat. 17. [Sep 1842] -- The ship Sidney sailed from Liverpool with 180 Saints; it arrived at New Orleans Nov. 11th."

<CC, p.21>

Sidney Passenger list:

ANDREWS, Mary <1822>

Age: 20

ANGUS, William <1777>

Age: 65 Occ: Carpenter

ANGUS, John O. <1817>

Age: 25

BENSON, Richard <1815>

Age: 27 Occ: Minister of the Gospel

BLOOR, William <1820>

Age: 22 Occ: Potter

BLOOR, Elizabeth <1823>

Age: 19

BOYD, Elizabeth

BOYD, Archibald <1807>

Age: 35 Occ: Tide waiter

BOYD, John <1808>

Age: 34 Occ: Carpenter

BOYD, Ann <1815>

Age: 27

BOYD, Archibald <1836>

Age: 6

BOYD, Robert <1837>

Age: 5

BOYD, John <1839>

Age: 3

BOYD, John <1840>

Age: 2

BOYD, Mary Ann <1842>

Age: infant

Note: "Infant" (Customs)

BROWN, Elizabeth

BROWN, Mary <1817>

Age: 25

BROWN, Robert <1817>

Age: 25 Occ: Watchmaker

BROWN, Elizabeth <1839>

Age: 3

BRUNT, Elizabeth <1804>

Age: 38

BRUNT, William <1804>

Age: 38 Occ: Potter

BRUNT, Mary Ann <1826>

Age: 16

BRUNT, Harriet <1829>

Age: 13

BRUNT, William <1831>

Age: 11

BRUNT, Henry <1833>

Age: 9

CAMPBELL, Peter <1807>

Age: 35 Occ: Mason

CAMPBELL, Joseph <1825>

Age: 17 Occ: Servant

CANNON, George, Sen. <1797>

Age: 45 Occ: Joiner

CANNON, Ann <1800>

Age: 42

CANNON, George, Jun. <1827>

Age: 15

CANNON, Mary Alice <1829>

Age: 13

CANNON, Ann <1832>

Age: 10

CANNON, Agnes Munn <1836>

Age: 6

CANNON, David Henry <1838>

Age: 4

CANNON, Leonora <1841>

Age: 1

CHANDLER, Charles <1798>

Age: 44 Occ: Cooper

CHANDLER, Harriet, Jun. <1802>

Age: 40

CHANDLER, Harriet, Jun <1834>

Age: 8

CHANDLER, Mary <1837>

Age: 5

CRIER, Ann <1817>

Age: 25

CRIER, Samuel <1818>

Age: 24 Occ: Pattern maker

CRIER, Grace <1840>

Age: 2

CRIER, Rebecca <1842>

Age: infant

Note: "Infant" (Customs)

CROOKSTON, James, Sen. <1780>

Age: 62 Occ: Collier

CROOKSTON, Mary <1780>

Age: 62

CROOKSTON, Robert <1820>

Age: 22 Occ: Collier

CROOKSTON, James, Jun. <1822>

Age: 20 Occ: Collier

DIXON, Mary, Sen. <1766>

Age: 76

DIXON, Mary, Jun. <1804>

Age: 38

DIXON, John <1818>

Age: 24 Occ: Laborer

DIXON, Mary <1823>

Gender: F Age: 19

DODD, Margaret <1807>

Age: 35

DODD, Joseph <1814>

Age: 28 Occ: Butcher

DONALD, W., Mrs. <1812>

Age: 30

DONALD, William <1812>

Age: 30 Occ: Farmer

DONALD, William, Jun <1830>

Age: 12

DONALD, Margaret <1834>

Age: 8

DONALD, Ann <1836>

Age: 6

DONALD, Helen <1838>

Age: 4

DONALD, John <1840>

Age: 2

FAIRBRIDGE, Thomas <1810>

Age: 32 Occ: Moulder

FAIRBRIDGE, Eleanor <1811>

Age: 31

FAIRBRIDGE, Mary Jane <1834>

Age: 8

FAIRBRIDGE, Isabella <1837>

Age: 5

FAIRBRIDGE, John <1841>

Age: 1

FAWKES, John <1771>

Age: 71 Occ: Mason

FAWKES, Dorothy <1790>

Age: 52

FAWKES, Jane <1822>

Age: 20

FAWKES, John <1824>

Age: 18 Occ: Mason

FAWKES, Mary <1825>

Age: 17

FAWKES, Andrew <1827>

Age: 15

GARSTANG, Richard <1803>

Age: 39 Occ: Overlooker Steam Looms

GARSTANG, Sarah <1814>

Age: 28

GARSTANG, Betsy <1829>

Age: 13

GARSTANG, Sarah <1833>

Age: 9

GARSTANG, John <1837>

Age: 5

GARSTANG, Margaret <1839>

Age: 3

GARSTANG, Rosanna <1839>

Age: 3

GARSTANG, Richard <1840>

Age: 2

GARSTANG, Catherine <1842>

Age: infant

Note: "Infant." (Customs)

GREENHOW, Jane <1809>

Gender: F Age: 33

GREENHOW, John <1809>

Gender: M Age: 33 Occ: Printer

GREENHOW, Eliza <1829>

Gender: F Age: 13

GREENHOW, Sarah <1831>

Gender: F Age: 11

GREENHOW, Jane <1833>

Gender: F Age: 9 Origin: F

GREENHOW, Mary <1836>

Gender: F Age: 6

GRIFFITHS, John <1812>

Age: 30 Occ: Laborer

GRIFFITHS, Margaret <1817>

Age: 25

HARRINGTON, Elizabeth <1802>

Age: 40

HARRINGTON, Thomas <1802>

Age: 40 Occ: Farmer

HARRISON, Mary Ann <1812>

Age: 30

HARRISON, Richard <1812>

Age: 30 Occ: Moulder

HIGGS, Caroline <1812>

Gender: F Age: 30

HIGGS, Amelia <1838>

Age: 4

HODGSON, Noble <1817>

Age: 25 Occ: Laborer

HOLLAWAY, Mary <1804>

Age: 38

HOLLAWAY, Caroline <1829>

Age: 13

HORN, Robert <1814>

Age: 28 Occ: Weaver

HORN, Betty <1817>

Age: 25

HORN, Israel <1842>

Age: infant

Note: "Infant" (Customs)

HUDSON, Nancy <1792>

Age: 50

HUDSON, Mary Ann <1814>

Age: 28

HUDSON, William <1818>

Age: 24

HUMPHREYS, Ann <1802>

Age: 40

HUMPHREYS, Sarah Ann <1826>

Age: 16

HUMPHREYS, Robert <1829>

Age: 13

HUMPHREYS, James <1833>

Age: 9

HUMPHREYS, Alfred <1836>

Age: 6

HUMPHREYS, George <1837>

Age: 5

HYDE, Jane <1829>

Age: 13

Note: (EECI); Hydes

JEPSON, James <1816>

Age: 26 Occ: Bleacher

JEPSON, Eleanor <1817>

Age: 25

JOHNSON, John <1815>

Age: 27 Occ: Tallow Chandler

JOHNSON, Mary <1817>

Age: 25

KAY, Thomas <1806>

Age: 36 Occ: Weaver

KAY, Ellen <1815>

Age: 27

KAY, Isabel <1815>

Age: 27

KAY, Jean <1817>

Age: 25

KAY, John <1818>

Age: 24 Occ: Engineer

KAY, William <1836>

Age: 6

KAY, Sarah Ann <1837>

Age: 5

KAY, Sarah <1838>

Age: 4

KAY, James <1839>

Age: 3

KAY, Maria <1840>

Age: 2

KAY, Elizabeth <1842>

Age: infant

Note: "Infant" (Customs)

KAY, Martha <1842>

Age: infant

Note: "Infant" (Customs)

KEELING, Thomas <1792>

Age: 50 Occ: Laborer

KEMP, David <1797>

Age: 45 Occ: Weaver

KNOWLES, Joseph <1816>

Age: 26 Occ: Neald Knitter

LIPTROT, John <1804>

Age: 38 Occ: Overlooker Steam Looms

LIPTROT, Susannah <1808>

Age: 34

LOKIE, Andrew <1817>

Age: 25 Occ: Tailor

MACINTOSH, Daniel <1792>

Age: 50 Occ: Tinman

MCINTYRE, Margaret <1825>

Age: 17

MCLEAN, William <1817>

Age: 25 Occ: Confectioner

MCLEAN, Margaret <1818>

Age: 24

MILLER, John <1820>

Age: 22 Occ: Daker

MITCHELL, Mary <1779>

Age: 63

MITCHELL, Sarah <1813>

Age: 29

MURPHY, Peter <1816>

Age: 26 Occ: Laborer

MURPHY, Catherine <1818>

Age: 24

MURPHY, Mary Ann <1842>

Age: infant

Note: "Infant" (Customs)

NIXON, Robert <1780>

Age: 62 Occ: Weaver

NIXON, Elizabeth <1810>

Age: 32

NIXON, William <1817>

Age: 25 Occ: Grocer

NIXON, Nicholas <1820>

Age: 22 Occ: Weaver

PRICE, Thomas <1817>

Age: 25 Occ: Farmer

RICHARDS, Levi <1802>

Gender: M Age: 40 Occ: Minister of the Gospel

RIGBY, Job <1817>

Age: 25 Occ: Codwainer

ROBINSON, Sophia <1776>

Age: 66

ROBINSON, Margaret <1820>

Age: 22

ROULTEDGE, Edward <1806>

Age: 36 Occ: Labourer

SMITH, William <1810>

Age: 32 Occ: Weaver

SMITH, Mary <1814>

Age: 28

SMITH, Nathan <1836>

Age: 6

SMITH, Maria <1840>

Age: 2

SMITH, Alice <1842>

Age: infant

Note: "Infant" (Customs)

SPENCE, Jean W. <1817>

Age: 25

SPENCE, John <1820>

Age: 22 Occ: Farmer

TAYLOR, Betty <1807>

Age: 35

WARDROP, John <1812>

Age: 30 Occ: Cabinet Maker

WARDROP, Lucy <1814>

Age: 28

WARDROP, Agnes <1837>

Age: 5

WARDROP, Mary <1838>

Age: 4

WARDROP, Emily <1841>

Age: 1

WHITAKER, Moses <1818>

Age: 24 Occ: Turner

WILSON, Mary <1782>

Age: 60

WRIGHT, Ann <1780>

Age: 62

WRIGHT, William <1780>

Age: 62 Occ: Farmer

WRIGHT, Alexander <1805>

Age: 37 Occ: Farmer

WRIGHT, James <1812>

Age: 30 Occ: Farmer

WRIGHT, John <1820>

Age: 22 Occ: Carpenter

WRIGHT, Robert <1822>

Age: 20 Occ: Carpenter

WRIGHT, Mary <1824>

Age: 18

WRIGHT, Ann <1825>

Age: 17

YATES, John <1806>

Age: 36 Occ: Moulder

YATES, Mary <1814>

Age: 28

YATES, Robert <1839>

Age: 3

YATES, Hannah <1842>

Age: infant

Note: "Infant" (Customs)

Passenger Accounts:

Sidney (September 1842)

A Compilation of General Voyage Notes

Autobiography of Robert Crookston

Journal of Alexander Wright

Journal of George Cannon

Journal of the Levi Richards Emigrating Company

Letter from George D. Watt - November 13, 1842

Letter from John Greenhow

A Compilation of General Voyage Notes

"EMIGRATION. -- Three vessels have been dispatched by us since the 15th of September. The Sidney, containing 180 souls, the Medford, 214, and the Henry, 157. . . ."

<MS, 3:6 (Oct. 1842), p.112>

"FIFTEENTH COMPANY. -- Sydney, 180 souls. On Saturday, September 17th, 1842, the ship Sidney, Captain Cowen, sailed from Liverpool, with one hundred and eighty Saints on board, under the direction of Elder Levi Richards, bound for Nauvoo, via New Orleans. George D. Watt the first man baptized in England, who emigrated with this company, writes from New Orleans, under date of November 13th, 1842, as follows:

'We have had a passage of fifty-six days -- fine weather -- with a kind captain and crew, who allowed us every reasonable privilege. There have been five deaths out of the company, and one sailor who fell from the yard arm and was killed. The dead are: Brother Yates' eldest child, Sister Cannon, (mother of President George Q. Cannon,) Brother Browne's child and two children belonging to a man who is not in the Church. We stuck up on the sand bar at the north of the river (Mississippi) thirty-four hours. About two hours after we got off, the Medford came on the bar, where she stuck thirty hours. We landed here (New Orleans), on the eleventh instant and the Medford arrived today the thirteenth. She lies about ten yards from us. * * * We have taken one of the largest and best steamboats in this port. We pay two dollars and fifty cents per head, and twenty-five cents per one hundred pounds above the weight allowed each person, which is one hundred pounds. We are all going up together; i. e. The Sidney and Medford passengers.'

After tarrying three days at New Orleans, the emigrants embarked on the steamer Alexander Scott and made rapid progress till they had passed the mouth of the Ohio River, when they ran aground and remained fast three days. After getting clear again they continued the journey to within ninety miles of St. Louis, where the vessel had to remain three weeks for want of water. When the emigrants finally arrived at St. Louis, it was the dead of winter, and the river being frozen up above that city, it became necessary for the Saints to remain there for a while until communication opened up again with the towns on the upper Mississippi. Without much difficulty houses and provisions were secured, and the remainder of the winter was spent quite comfortably in St. Louis. In April, 1843, the journey was continued to Nauvoo."

<Cont., 12:12 (Oct. 1891), pp.445-46>

"Sat. 17. [Sep 1842] -- The ship Sidney sailed from Liverpool with 180 Saints; it arrived at New Orleans Nov. 11th."

<CC, p.21>

Journal of George Cannon

Liverpool, September 3, 1842--Gave notice to my employer that I was leaving his employ that day. He had previous to this offered me five shillings a week more wages, telling me that it was quite absurd to think of more distress coming on this country--that things were beginning to look brighter, and in a short time would be (as he termed it) alright. Finding that I was determined by the help of God to go, he acknowledged that my testimony and his own observation had led him to conclusions which made him tremble, and he begged of me to write to him when I got to Nauvoo the truth, and he would place confidence in my account, and he thought he could induce about forty of his relatives to join him in emigrating to Nauvoo, and they are pretty rich in worldly substance (he has no prejudice against the doctrine.)

Now the petty trials commence in every shape. All our friends know that we will bitterly repent leaving England and a constant employ. We can get nothing for our furniture--our friends who are so anxious about us will buy none of it, not even the clock or drawers which belonged to the family. My wife’s brother did not come to see us off. Well, this shows how deeply they have our happiness in view!

Saturday morning about nine o’clock. 17th of September, 1842, we hauled out of the Waterloo Dock on board the ship Sidney. Captain Cowan, and were towed by a [p.109] steamer past the light ship (the wind being about northeast and very light). On Sunday, the 18th, we all left Liverpool in good spirits, and nothing caused me so much regret as leaving so many of the Saints behind, anxious to go but without the means to do so.

We are now launched on the bosom of the mighty deep, and sea-sickness had made the passengers for the most part very ill. My dear Ann is dreadfully affected with this nauseous sickness, perhaps more so on account of her pregnancy. In how may ways and shapes are we tried! Not a morsel of food or drink will remain on her stomach--the moment she lifts her head she is sick almost to death. Yet I have never heard one complaint from her on her own account, but regret at not being able to assist me in the care of the children. Her stomach seems to have changed its functions, and this is the tenth day without anything passing through her.

And how am I all this time! Well in body, but if depending on my own strength I should be in despair. But thanks be to our Heavenly Father, he has removed a fear from my mind which has preyed on it for years. Many years since I dreamed a dream which time or circumstance has never been able entirely to remove. I was impressed with a conviction that my wife should die while in a state of pregnancy. This was before I thought of marrying. Many would think this preceded from imbecility of mind or superstition; but my dreams (those I mean which made a deep impression on my memory) have been fulfilled so plainly that I never could doubt but that God sent them for some good purpose. I have never seen my wife pregnant without this fear of her death, and always felt thankful to God in a twofold sense [p.110] when this critical time was past. She was aware of this feeling of mine, and it was a trial of our faith to cross the sea while she was in this state. But thoughts of undertaking the voyage in the spring when the weather was so cold, and with an infant of two or three months old, was in her estimation worse; and both of us feeling, while in England, that we were away from home and could not rest satisfies, although worldly circumstances favored us, still our hearts were in Zion and with our children, however persecuted, calumniated and belied.

While racking my mind and considering and devising what more I could do for my Ann-- I had given her consecrated oil, castor oil, pills, salt water, etc., had the hands of the elders laid on her, still she continued in the same state and I feared that inflammation would take place. Sister [Harriet] Chandler had no apparatus for administering an injection. I applied to Brother [Franklin D.] Richards, who got all that was requisite of the captain, and this was the means under the hand of God of removing one fear from my bosom, and causing me to rest in peace that night--the first for many nights and days. Leonora and David have had no sickness and are less trouble than I expected, but George, Mary Alice, Anny and Angus have all been very sick, particularly George and Anny.

Perhaps a more agreeable ship’s company, both of the Saints and seamen, never crossed the Atlantic. The captain and officers are kind and humane men and so far from disputes or hard feelings that the sailors say they never saw a family who agreed better: and they wonder how a company of people who were many of them strangers to each other can bear and forbear in the manner they do. One of the sailors, an intelligent man, told [p.111] me that he had been in the passenger line of shipping for years and never saw anything like it: in general the captain kept his distance and did not allow of freedoms from the passengers: but here he allowed them every indulgence, took pleasure in having the children round him on the quarter-deck and would play with them as if they were his own. May the Lord bless him for his kindness!

This is Tuesday, the 4th of October-- a delightful day; the wind is fair and the vessel going about five knots. I am sitting in the stern of the vessel. On each side of the deck are laid some spars, on which and on the vessel’s sides--not too high up-- are seated men, women and children, the younger children scrambling about the deck, while my poor old woman is lying on the hatch under the boat still very ill and unable to hold her head up for any length of time. This is the only drawback to my pleasure, as all the rest of us are well.

Saturday, 8th of October--Up to this time nothing of consequence occurred on board. My poor Ann still continues very sick and is getting weaker every day. This morning a child of Brother John Yates’ died, a fine little boy [Robert] three years old. This afternoon we committed his little body to the deep. Brother [John] Greenhow addressed us in a very impressive manner on the occasion, and was listened to by the whole on board with the most marked attention. On Thursday, the 13th, a fine young sailor fell from the foreyard on deck. He was taken up insensible and died next morning and was committed to the deep the afternoon of the same day. His name was George Hill, belonging to the state of Maine, U. S.

During the whole of this time my dear Ann continues very and is still getting weaker. There is not [p.112] a drop of wine or porter in the vessel, and she wishes very much for a little porter or ale. This day I learned for the first time that there was some porter on board, belonging to the cargo in the lower hold. The captain got some of it taken up to his cabin, and from that time I have got as much as I wanted for my wife. When she got the porter I was in hopes that she would retain strength until we got to land; but it was ordained other ways. We had performed the first half of our voyage in less than three weeks, but from that time it has been a series of calms with a light breeze, sometimes in our face. My heart used to die or sink within me along with the breeze. "Are we far from New Orleans that I may get some grapes and wine?" as my dear Ann’s constant inquiry when I came down off deck, as she is too weak to be taken on deck herself. I endeavored to speak words of comfort to her, while I had no prospect of her ever seeing the land of Joseph in this life. Dear Ann, the next wine thou shalt get will be pure in the Kingdom of Heaven! She talked of her death as of a sleep, told me not to lament her, that if she lived to reach the Mississippi she must be buried on land, if not, the great deep must receive her poor body that is shrunk to a mere skeleton.

I will not attempt to describe the nights in particular which I have passed while watching by the side of one of the best wives that ever man was blest with--to see the grim tyrant approaching slowly but steadily to his victim; yet with all her sufferings no complaint ever escaped her, but the words, "Dear George, what am I to do?" These words are never to be forgotten by me while I have memory. O God, how mysterious are thy ways! Teach me resignation to thy will! [p.113]

This morning, Friday 28th of October, she fell asleep without a sigh, and in the performance of what she considered the commands of God, at half past four o’clock, and was buried in that element which needed no consecration, it never being cursed, in Latitude 24.37 North, Longitude 69.50 West, at five o’clock in the afternoon of the same day.

How soon our plans and prospects are changed! Although in expectation of bearing many things which are not of a pleasant nature--privation or poverty we agreed to share with the Saints, but we are tried in a more tender part, and were it not for our helpless children’s sake I should like to repose under the peaceful blue waters with her who shared my every joy and sorrow. Heavenly Father keep me from repining! But seeing other people enjoying the society of those they love, my heart sickens and I long to be at rest with my dear wife.

On Sunday, the 30th of October, a child of three years old died of scarlet fever and was interred in the deep that afternoon after a suitable and impressive discourse and prayer from Brother [John] Greenhow. On Tuesday, the 3rd of November, we passed Abaco, commonly called the "Hole in the Rock," and at night fell in with the ship "Rockall". She left Liverpool on the 3rd of October, fifteen days after we left, and had a good wind all the way, having kept a more northerly course. On the 4th, fair winds but light. This day another child died of scarlet fever, brother to the little one who died of the same complaint.

Brother R----, Greenhow, Harrison and Watt were appointed to lead the company, and the first-named as presiding over the whole. This we understood after we were on shipboard, and I saw plainly that our leader did not posses the confidence of the company which he had under [p.114] his care. How much better it would be were the officers elected by the company they represent! On one occasion, seeing we had so much spare time, Brother G------ wished that instructive meetings should be held among the officers of the Church. This was what we had followed for some time in Liverpool with success, for I believe the Lord blessed us in this thing. We came together, not to show our wisdom, but our ignorance, and the presiding officer appointed a certain thing for our ensuing meeting--for instance, the priesthood. All the Scriptures were examined concerning it--what one omitted another produced; in short, there was hardly a subject but what was brought forward in this manner; and as all felt their own weaknesses we were all blessed in this way--the weakest were strengthened and even the strongest were made more strong. We were blessed in these meetings and expected they would answer on shipboard where all was harmony. Brother G------ proposed this meeting on the quarterdeck, Brother R----- being below at the time. Brother W----- opposed the motion, and stated that it tended to discord and discussion and that the Church in Edinburgh tried this and it led to discussion and ill-feelings. Brother R----- was called upon for his opinion on the subject and it went against G------’s proposal. All the Liverpool brethren and sisters were fond of G-----, knowing him to be a man of God, and that the Lord blessed him in restoring hundreds to health through his instrumentality.

From this time there was very little faith in the ship. One of our brethren spoke of faith and the blessings we should derive from it. Next evening Brother W----- arose and told us that we pretended to a thing which no man among us had received. He for one had not received the gift of tongues, and he believed the gift of tongues came from a [p.115] lying spirit or we should always have the interpretation--if the Spirit of God dictated to us to speak in tongues, the Spirit of God, the self-same spirit, would interpret it and not say it was not wisdom to interpret all. Well, this something surprised me. He asked, "Shew me one of you who can raise the dead; shew me one who can walk upon the water, or one who can say: Be thou healed!" This created a good deal of confusion among the Saints or community, for I could no longer call it the Church of Christ, faith was dead among us. Brother R----- called me aside and asked me if Brother W-----’s preaching was contrary to my belief. I told him if W-----’s doctrine was true he had kicked the ladder from under my feet and that I considered myself worse than a sectarian in professing things which did no belong to our Church; but that while God had given me such strong proofs of the truth of the gospel, and I had witnessed the power of it in myself and family, nothing could shake me from my faith, which was not built on the sand; and that we were blessed according to our faith and that the arguments of W------ would not apply to Peter in the time of our Savior on the earth. For instance, if you asked Peter, "Can you walk upon the water? Can you raise the dead? Can you say, be thou healed?" he would have held his peace.

This party feeling caused me a good deal of uneasiness, for I knew by the Spirit of God that it was nothing else. I had lost my chief comfort on earth, and had plenty of time to think of my Heavenly Father and his dealings with his children. I had acknowledged his right to all that I possessed and he blessed me with such blessings as I never possessed before, and assuring me in the course which I am now pursuing. [p.116]

I had my trials in the ship Sidney, but they were nothing to the cold and anxiety I experienced on board the steamer "Alex. Scott." We reached New Orleans on the 11th of November, left on the 15th and were at St. Louis on the 11th of December. While on board the packet we had to sleep on the deck between the machinery, the greater part of us, and this was mine and Brother G-----’s situation, with a wind going through the vessel and a keen frost. I have been six nights without having my clothes off, watching my little ones and keeping them covered.

We were now a fortnight on the river, stuck fast in different places; but about four miles below Chester I thought we should spend the winter. John and Archibald Boyd and I took possession of a log house and put it in tolerable repair. Brother Alexander Wright said he had a prior right to this house, but as he had made no agreement with the owner, possession was the first points of law. Here our children were washed and cleaned, and they had need of it, and Betsy, John Boyd’s wife, and Ann, Archibald’s wife, behaved like Saints ought to do--like mothers to my children. They worked night and day, not knowing how soon the boat might go, washed and cleaned everything belonging to us and mended everything that came under their notice. In fact they behaved like mothers to my children and the Lord will bless them for it.

On the 2nd of December 1842, my poor Davy took ill of the scarlet fever or ship fever, and two days after, John Boyd, son of Archibald, took the same complaint. We left the log house to go up the river when the children were in the height of the complaint, yet I think they [p.117] are the only children who have survived the complaint, of which fourteen died to my knowledge from the ship’s company.

November 28th, Brother G----- started for St. Louis on foot, knowing well that he could do no good for his family or the Saints by remaining with them.

About the beginning of December Brother R------ called a meeting and wished to bring the Church to order, to have them such as he could recommend when he got to Nauvoo. It was proved that many had broken the word of wisdom and some females on board the "Alex. Scott" escaped reproof on the principle that he that has least sin should cast the first stone. Our next meeting was on the 8th of December and postponed to the 9th through the non-attendance of the members. Brother R------ addressed the meeting and said that he held a paper in his hand which was copied from one of the St. Louis journals, wherein the editorial remarks were false and likely to do an injury to the boat we came up the river in the "Alex Scott"; and he wished us to contradict it. This was a letter signed, ‘J------ G------, passenger on board the "Alex Scott", who stated that the passengers were in a state of destitution, and wishing the company to forward them up the river. This caused the editor to make some remarks, tending on the whole, as far as I can conceive, to bring us sooner up the river; for if the Scott could not go up, we should have been sent by a lighter-draught boat. Upon the meeting being called, a few officers attended. They were asked whether they were in a ‘a state of destitution.’ It was then duly proposed and asked that those who were not in a state of starvation should hold up their hands; when to astonishment there were [p.118] only four out of perhaps fourteen. I had seen some of these sell things that they could ill spare, to purchase the necessaries of life. I had seen some of them eat potatoes and salt. I had relieved some myself from famine, and still they said they were not destitute. I state my feelings, as I always do when I think a brother is to be the sufferer, and suggested to Brother R------ that perhaps Brother G----- had the advice of Brother Hyde on this subject, as I was convinced G------ had done it for our good. Brother R------ said if Brother Hyde had done it, he would be whipped. May the Lord forgive me if I have done wrong, but I could lose an arm for G------ rather than sign against him, knowing his principles--that he has beggared himself and would die for the Church." [p.119]

BIB: Cannon, George, [Journal], IN Cannon, John Q. George Cannon, the Immigrant (privately printed, 1927) pp 109-19. (HDL)

Autobiography of Robert Crookston

My father had saved quite a sum of money for his old age and I also had quite a little so we decided to emigrate to America where we could be with the body of the Church. My Aunt Sophia, or Suffie we called her, and cousin Maggie were anxious to go with us so we told them we would pay their passage. Uncle William Robinson had not joined the Church. He drank a good deal and he and Aunt Suffie were not living together. He felt very bad and wanted to go with us but had no money. He was a good natured, kind man but father and mother did not like him. His daughter loved him and I felt sorry for him and finally the folks consented and we brought him over. We could not afford to pay his passage so we pulled the feather beds to the front of a bunk and hid the old man under the quilts while the inspector went through. All of us would smuggle food down to him and take him up on deck at night for some fresh air. After he had been in Nauvoo a while he joined the Church but was not robust and died at that place. The folks had to bury him.

Our Scotch neighbors thought we were crazy, and as they knew that we could not take much of our possessions with us we had to sell everything at a great sacrifice. But we wanted to come to Zion and be taught by the prophet of God. We had the spirit of gathering so strongly that Babylon had no claim on us, so on the 7th day of September 1841 we sailed from Liverpool on the Ship Sydney.

Captain Cowan, Levi Richards, President with 180 passengers. Among the number were George Z. Cannon, Angus Cannon and their mother, George D. Watt and family. We had a voyage of eight weeks. It was not a bad trip and we would have enjoyed a lot of it had not mother been ill a lot to the time and a very sad thing happened. The mother of the Cannons died on the ship when in sight of the West India Islands. They were not permitted to land with a body on board so she was consigned to a watery grave. It was a very solemn occasion. At last we were towed up the river to New Orleans and so had a chance to set our feet on terra firma. Our President [p.5] chartered a large steamer which took us up the river 1200 miles to St. Louis. We rented a house for a month as the river up to Nauvoo was frozen over. When our month was up we took a steamer to Alton, twenty-five miles up the river and got employment in a packing house there. They killed 38,000 hogs during the winter. The people there were very friendly and treated us fine. the wages were low but everything was cheap. Flour was $3.00 per barrel, sugar 18 lbs. per $1.00, and everything else in proportion. When the river opened up we started for Nauvoo, a distance of 300 miles. As we approached the landing place to our great joy we saw the Prophet Joseph Smith there to welcome his people who had come so far. We were all so glad to see him and set our feet upon the promised land so to speak. It was the most thrilling experience of my life for I know that he was a Prophet of the Lord. [p.6]

BIB: Crookston, Robert. Autobiography [ca. 1900]. [LDS Church Archives, Ms 8023, pp. 5-6; Acc. #22113] (HDA)

Letter from John Greenhow

. . . On the 17th of September we left Liverpool, in the ship Sidney, and set our faces towards Zion, and after a passage of eight weeks we landed at New Orleans. There were six deaths during the voyage, viz. four children, one sailor, who fell from the yard-arm, and Sister Cannon, She had not been well for some time previous to our leaving Liverpool, and continued getting worse. She died without a struggle or a murmur, and was perfectly reconciled. She requested to be buried in the sea, if she died previous to reaching New Orleans, but if coming up the river that she might be buried on land. Captain Cowan is one of the most kind-hearted humane men that ever crossed the Atlantic. After tarrying three days at New Orleans we again embarked on board the "Alex Scott," and made rapid progress till we passed the mouth of the Ohio, when we soon after run a-ground and remained there three days; on our deliverance we got to within ninety miles of St. Louis, where she had to remain three weeks for want of water. When we arrived at St. Louis we had to look out for houses, as it was by this time about the depth of winter, and the river was frozen up about St. Louis, but we all got houses to shelter in, and provisions in abundance. We had honey at two cents a pound, beef from seven to ten pounds for five cents, and the finest geese in the market at fifteen cents each, butter five cents a pound, and every thing in the same proportion. The brethren were mainly well when I left St. Louis, and anxiously waiting for a general breakup of the river that they might [p.91] make another start for Nauvoo. I believe, sir, that the abominable lies, which are in circulation, over the whole land, would turn any man out but a Latter-day Saint, and we know we have not followed cunningly devised fables, and therefore are not to be carried away with the cunning craft of men whereby they lay in wait to deceive. But I must now conclude at present, for I had neither pen, ink, or paper when I begun this letter so just took my stick to give you the news in the best way I could. And I thank God, that after journey of more than nineteen weeks, I am safe in Nauvoo, and feel myself out of the reach of oppression, and my mind in perfect peace.

I remain your affectional brother in the gospel of peace.

John Greenhow[p.92]

BIB: Greenhow, John. Times and Seasons 4:6 (February 1, 1843, pp. 91-92). (HDL)

Journal of the Levi Richards Emigrating Company

1842-Ship Sidney lying in the port of Liverpool.

Friday Sept. 16 M. [morning] commenced with fresh breezes from the southward cloudy sky. At 4 p.m. hauled down to the dock gates.

Saturday 17 At 9 a.m. hauled through the gates down the pier head. At 10, set the fore & mizen topsail, & dropped off into the river, & called over the passengers’ names & found three secreted & sent them onshore & proceeded down the river - at 11 the wind to the west, northwest. Weather looking very bad & rainy, returned up the river again some 10 miles.

Sunday 18 Commenced with strong breezes from the west northwest & rainy. At 1 ½ p.m. came to in the river, 2 miles below Liverpool. Middle part moderate & pleasant. At 10 a.m. hove up anchor, took steam & towed down the river ending with light breeze from the north.

Monday 19 Commenced with light from the north & pleasant. At 2 p.m. steamboat left us 14 miles from town, set all sail by the wind. At 4 set fore topsail & topgallant stud sail. At 8 p.m. the light on point lines bore by compass west, southwest 10 miles. At 10 saw Skariee [UNCLEAR] Light, bearing by compass west. At 12 it bore southwest ½ west 7 miles. First the wind hauled south, southeast. Cloudy weather, Holyhead Light, been southwest at 3 ½ it bore east by north 2 south. At 8, Bordsey [UNCLEAR] Light, bore southeast 12 miles. At 11 a.m. tacked ship to west southeast ending with gentle gales & passing clouds.

Tuesday Sept. 20 Commenced with moderate gales & rainy. At 4 p.m. passed Bordsey Island Lighthouse, bore by compass southeast by north, tacked ship to the west, northwest. At 1 a.m. tacked ship to south, southwest. Moderate gales & cloudy. At 4 to west, northwest at 6 to southwest. [p.1]

[Ship Sidney from Liverpool towards New Orleans, Robert Cowen, Master IS WRITTEN AT THE TOP OF THE PAGES OF THIS DOCUMENT.]

Tuesday Sept. 20. Flattering winds, ends with moderate breezes & cloudy all sail set by the wind.

Wednesday 21 Commenced with fresh gales & cloudy & frequent squalls of rain. At 2 ½ p.m. saw St. David's Head, bearing by compass southeast of west bearing head sea at 8 p.m. At 6 the head bore southeast by east, at 7 the Smalls Light bore by compass south by east from which took departure 8 miles distant. Middle part strong breeze & heavy head sea. At 2 a.m. got the anchors on bow & secured them. At 4 put one reef in the fore & mizen topsail, and furled the topgallant sails, spanker & spencer. At 11 set the reef from the mizen topsail. Ends with fresh breeze & heavy cross sea. From noon 20th to noon 21st 142 knots. Latitude 50.-16. Longitude 7.-57.

Thursday 22 All these 24 hours strong gales & squally. Saw an English man of war steering up the channel & one brig. Ends with strong breezes & passing clouds. 207 knots. Latitude 47.-28. Longitude 11.-11.

Friday 23 All these 24 hours strong gales & squally with rain ends squally with rain. 168 knots. Dead reckoning. Latitude 45.22 Longitude 13.-54.

Saturday 24 All these 24 hours strong & squally with a very rough sea, ends with strong gales & squally with rain all prudent sail set. 140 [knots]. Dead reckoning. Latitude 43.27. Longitude 15.-30.

Sunday 25 First part of these 24 hours strong gales & squally. At 2 p.m. took in top gallant sail. At 5 took one reef in the main mizzen topsail. Heavy sea running at 7. Reefed the main sails. Last part more moderate. Ends with all drawing sail set. 158 [knots]. Latitude 40.52. Longitude 17.51.

Monday 26 All these 24 hour pleasant gales & clear weather. 161 [knots]. Latitude 38.48. Longitude 20.-26 [p.2]

Tuesday Sept. 27 All these 24 hours gentle gales & pleasant weather. Ends with all drawing sails set. 100 [knots]. Latitude 37.47. Longitude 22. 07.

Wednesday 28 These 24 hours begins with light winds & pleasant. Middle part, the same. Last part, gentle gales & passing clouds. 97 [knots] Latitude 36.48. Longitude 23.45.

Thursday 29 Commenced with strong breeze & cloudy weather. Middle part variable winds & rain. At daylight saw St. Mary's Island, bearing by compass northeast. Ends with gentle gales & pleasant. Near St. Mary's took a [-] departure. Latitude 36.20 Longitude 25.36. 132 knots. Calm 3 hours.

Friday 30 All these 24 hours pleasant gales & passing clouds. 181 [knots] Latitude 34.21. Longitude 28.00.

Saturday Oct. 1 Commenced with gentle breezes from the north & pleasant weather. Middle part squally with rain. Ends with light air from the eastward warm & sultry. 118 [knots] Latitude 32.56. Longitude 29.41.

Sunday 2 For the first & middle part of these 24 hours light airs & calm. At 2 a.m. a light breeze from the westward too in stand sails - ends with moderate gales & pleasant. 89 [knots]. Calm 10 hours. Latitude 32.16 Longitude 31.25.

Monday 3 All these 24 gentle gales & clear weather. At 4 a.m. wind began to howl to the northward. Ends with all drawing sail set. 103 [knots]. Latitude 30.48. Longitude 32.26. [p.3]

Tuesday Oct. 4 First part of these 24 hours gentle breeze & pleasant. Middle part light airs & calms. Last part gentle gales & squally with rain. Ends pleasant all drawing sail set. 72 [knots]. Calm 1 hour. Latitude 27.56. Longitude 32.26.

Wednesday 5 All these 24 hours light wind & pleasant, so ends with all drawing sails set. 99 [knots]. Latitude 28.16. Longitude 33.54.

Thursday 6 This 24 hours commenced with moderate gales, weather clear. Middle & last part light & variable winds. Saw 3 sails running to the north & eastward. Latitude 27.59. Longitude 33.34.

Friday 7 Commenced with light airs, & pleasant weather. At 4 p.m. calm, middle & last part light. Moderate gales & pleasant. Saw 4 sails running north & eastward. Ends with all drawing sails set by the wind. 60 [knots]. Calm 5 hours. Latitude 28.05 Longitude 35. 04.

Saturday 8 Commenced with gentle breezes, pleasant weather. Middle part squally with rain. Ends with fresh breezes & short chopped sea. 21 [knots]. Latitude 27.10. Longitude 35.04.

Sunday 9 Commences with fresh breezes & clear weather with heavy head sea. Last part strong breezes from the northeast & squally with rain storms ends. 100 [knots]. Latitude 27.43. Longitude 36.34.

Monday 10 Commenced with strong breezes, squally with rain. Middle & last part, prosperous gales, & pleasant weather. 188 [knots]. Latitude 25.29. Longitude 39.04. [p.4]

Tuesday Oct. 11 Commenced with gentle breezes & pleasant weather. Middle & last part moderate gales & pleasant. So ends this 24 hours all drawing sails set. 108 [knots] Latitude 24.36. Longitude 40.48.

Wednesday 12 All these 24 hours moderate gales & pleasant. Ends with all drawing sails set. 107 [knots]. Latitude 23.43. Longitude 42.36.

Thursday 13 All these 24 hours, light winds & pleasant weather. 90 [knots]. Latitude 22.10 Longitude 44.06.

Friday 14 All these 24 hours gentle breezes & clear weather. At 3 ½ p.m hiked ship & when in the act of setting the fore topmost sail the sail caught the boom iron on the fore yard. Called for a hand to go up and clean the sail. George H. Hill started up, he being the nearest & in trying to walk out on the yard, he fell to the deck. He never spoke after - lived 17 hours. Everything being done for his relief but all to no purpose. At the close of the day committed his remains to to [SIC] [the] deep. 101 [knots]. Latitude 22.47. Longitude 46.02.

Saturday 15 Commenced with gentle gales & pleasant weather. Middle & last part the same, these 24 thus ended. 113 [knots]. Latitude 22.49. Longitude 48.05. [p.5]

Sunday Oct 16 Commenced with gentle breezes & clear weather ends the same with all drawing sail set. 130 [knots]. Latitude 23.06. Longitude 50.27.

Monday 17 All these 24 hours gentle gales & pleasant weather. Ends the same with all drawing sail set. 106 [knots]. Latitude 23.18. Longitude 52.23.

Tuesday 18 Commenced with gentle gales with light squalls of rain - Middle & last part light airs & pleasant weather. 45 [knots]. Latitude 23.14. Longitude 53.15.

Wednesday 19 Commenced with light airs & calms. Middle & last part light airs & pleasant. 48 [knots]. Calm 2 hours. Latitude 22.47. Longitude 54.00.

Thursday 20 First part of the 24 light airs & pleasant. Middle part calm, last part moderate breeze. 39 [knots]. Calm 8 hours. Latitude 22.51. Longitude 54.45.

Friday 21 First of these 24 hours gentle breezes & pleasant. Middle part squally with rain, wind variable. End pleasant all prudent sail set by the wind. There seems to [-] regular trade winds. 115 [knots]. Latitude 23.40. Longitude 56.39.

Saturday 22 Commenced with gentle gales & pleasant weather. Middle part calm, last part strong breeze, squally with rain. 73 [knots]. Calm 8 hours. Latitude 23.40. Longitude 57.59. [p.6]

Sunday Oct. 23 All these 24 hours strong gales & squally with rain. Split the fore & main topsails from topgallant & main royal. 168 [knots]. Latitude 23.12. Longitude 61.12.

Monday 24 Commenced with strong gales & squally with wind. Middle the same double reefed the topsail, last part strong breezes & pleasant weather & so ends. 140 [knots]. Latitude 22.52 Longitude 63.45.

Tuesday 25 Commenced with strong breezes & pleasant. Last part gentle gales & pleasant. All drawing sail set by the breeze. 164 [knots]. Latitude 23.21. Longitude 66.39.

Wednesday 26 Begins with prosperous gales and pleasant weather, middle part the same. Ends calm. 88 [knots]. Latitude 23.45. Longitude 68.15.

Thursday 27 First part of these 24 hours calm & hot, sultry weather. Middle part the same, ends with light winds & pleasant W. 42 [knots]. Calm 14 hours. Latitude 23.59. Longitude 69.44.

Friday 28 Moderate breezes & pleasant weather middle light airs & calms ends with light wind & pleasant W. One of the passengers died having been ill all the passage. 61 [knots]. Calm 4 hours. Latitude 24.00. Longitude 69.10. [p.7]

Saturday Oct. 29 Commenced with moderate gales & pleasant. Middle squally with rain, ends pleasant. 73 knots. Latitude 25.15. Longitude 70.37.

Sunday 30 These 24 hours begin with moderate breezes & flying clouds. Middle and last part light winds & cloudy weather others ends. Latitude 23.23. Longitude 70.51.

Monday 31 Commenced with moderate breezes & thick rainy weather. Borned a child belonging to one of the passengers. Middle part light winds & rainy. Last part steady breezes & squally with rains. 118 [knots]. Latitude 25.57. Longitude 72.51.

Tuesday Nov. 1 Light airs calms squalls & showers during the whole 24 hours, something very uncommon in these latitudes. 17 [knots]. 3 calms 13 hours. Latitude 25.57 Longitude 73.12.

Wednesday 2 Commenced with moderate gales & pleasant weather. Middle part the same. At 6 a.m. made the hole in the wall. Several vessels in sight so ends proper sails set. 94 [knots]. Latitude 25.50. Longitude 74.57.

Thursday 3 Commenced with gentle gales & pleasant weather hole in the wall bore by compass northeast 8 miles. At 11:30 spoke the "Rockall" Captain Higgins, 30 days from Liverpool. At 10 a.m. made the great Isood [UNCLEAR]. Ends all drawing sail set from breeze. 103 [knots]. Latitude [-]. Longitude [-]. [p.8]

Friday Nov. 4 Commenced with gentle gales & fine weather. At 3 p.m. made the great [-] bore by compass east southeast 7 miles distant. At 6 saw Gunkey Light south by east at it bore east 3 miles, at 11 1/4 it bore north by east distance 20 miles. Middle part prosperous gales & clear weather. Ends with fresh breeze & passing clouds all drawing sail set. 3 ships in sight, steering along with us. Latitude by observation 24.15. 154 [knots]. Latitude [-]. Longitude [-].

Saturday 5 Commenced with strong gales & passing clouds. At 4 p.m. double head shot Kays, bore by compass south southeast, distance 10 miles. 3 ships in company from 6 p.m. still 12 squally, took in & made sailors required. Last part strong breeze & cloudy. 5 sail in company so ends. Latitude by observation. Varies ½ point east. 187 [knots]. Latitude [-]. Longitude [-].

Sunday 6 Commenced with strong gales & passing clouds at 3 p.m. Tortugos Lighthouse, bore by compass north northeast, distance 10 miles. Middle & last part strong gales & cloudy so ends. Latitude by observation 27.03. Varies ½ point east. 218. Latitude [-]. Longitude [-].

Monday 7 These 24 hours begins with strong breezes & squally. Spoke the ship "Ambassador" of New York, 10 days out. At 2 a.m. wind howled west northwest, squally with rain. At 10 a.m. buried a passenger's child (Robert Browns). Last part gentle gales & pleasant. 140 knots. Latitude by observation 29.01 north. Latitude [-]. Longitude [-].

Tuesday 8 These 24 hours begins with fresh breezes & cloudy at 6 p.m. tacked ship to southwest. At forenoon tacked to north at 8 to west southwest so ends with all sails set by the wind. 117. Latitude by observation 29. 07. north. Latitude [-]. Longitude [-]. [p.9]

Wednesday Nov 9 These 24 hours begins with fresh breezes and clear weather. At 4 p.m. tacked ship to north at 12 to west southwest. Strong breezes & flying clouds at 5 a.m. sounded in fifty fathoms water sandy bottom, at M. in 30 fathoms. So ends these 24 hours all sail set by the wind. 121. Latitude by 29.18. north.

The ship Sidney arrived at New Orleans Nov. 11, 1842. [p.10]

BIB: Levi Richards Emigrating Company. Journal 1842 Sep-Nov [LDS Church Archives, Ms 3348, pp. 1-10; Acc. #142918] (HDA)

Letter from George D. Watt - November 13, 1842

Ship Sidney, New Orleans, Nov. 13, 1842.

Dear Brother, --We have had a passage of fifty-six days--fine weather, with a kind captain and crew, who allowed us every reasonable privilege. There have been five deaths out of the company, and one sailor who fell from the yard-arm and was killed–Brother Yates's eldest child, Sister Cannon, Brother Brown's child, and two children belonging to a man not in the church. We stuck upon the bar at the mouth of the river thirty-four hours; about two hours after we got off, the "Medford" came on the bar, where she stuck thirty-hours. We landed here on the 11th inst., and the "Medford" arrived to-day, 13th; she lies about ten yards from us. They have had two deaths; upon the whole a good passage.--We have taken one of the largest and best steam boats in this port; we pay 2 ½ dollars per head, and 25 cents. per cwt. above the weight allowed each person, which is 100 lbs. We are all going up together.

Yours, truly.

G.D. WATT [p.160]

BIB: G[eorge] D. Watt., [Letter] Latter-Day Saints' Millennial Star 3:9 (January, 1883, p 160). (HDL)

Journal of Alexander Wright

. . . I spent the day with the Saints in Glasgow and as I had not time to go to Paisley and the other neighboring branches oen [UNCLEAR, POSSIBLY owing] to having to stay in Edenburgh over Sabbath. I went in search of the Saints meeting in Edenburgh but thought that I had known had moved to America so that I did not find their meeting in the forenoon, but found out that they met in Mary’s Chapel. I met with them and bore testimony to the work of the Lord. I met again with them in the [p.374] the [SIC] evening. Took 4 of my friends with me. I did not have the privilege to see the Saints in the west but the Saints in Paisley knew when I did not come on Sabbath that I would not have time to go there so all that could come came to Glasgow to see me so I enjoyed their company. A few hours only and had to take the parting hand with them. Some of them conveyed us as far as Greenock, as we had some Saints from Glasgow and 2 from Paisley and several families from Edenburgh Conference. We started from the Bromielan on the fire being at 4 o’clock.

On 12th Sept. Stopped an hour at Grenock where we took the parting hand with the remainder of our brethren in Scotland and I [-]. [p.375] We then started for Liverpool and spent a long weary night on the boat as boats in this country have no beds for steerage passengers but we did not have much sickness as the most of us was sick between Aberdeen and Granton Pier.

We landed at Liverpool on the 13 at 1 o’clock and anchored in the river as the tied was in. I went ashore in a small boat and went to Mary Bruit and Feildens of so to see where the ship was and I met Mr. Pratt as I went up and learned that the ship lay in Waterloo Dock and her name was the Sidney of Boston commanded by Captain Cowen. I then went to her and found Brother Hiram Clark there given out the berths and I took by our berths on the larboard side [--] [p.376] Numbers 37, 38, 39, 40 and 42. I then went down and the boat had got up to the wharf and we hired a carter to take our luggage to the ship for 6 shillings and we sleeped aboard of the Sidney on 13th of Sept. and we lodged there until we started and provided ourselves with such things as we wanted. We bought straw for our beds at 1/8 per stone and we got boiled water and room to eat our meat in a cook house for 1 ½ each we was not allowed fire on board until the ship sailed as no fire is allowed within the docks at Liverpool.

On Saturday 17th of Sept. we went through the docks and started about 9 o'clock with 180 passengers for New Orleans. We sailed for a few miles but the wind died and the tide took us back [p.377] so that we had to anchor opposite Liverpool until the turn of the [tied] did rise.

Morning 18.. When we got a steam tug to take us down the river. I standed to prayer the first night by the directions of Elders [John] Greenhow and Watt. The wind was favorable today.

Sep 19. We had a fair wind today so that we had to bet and it was counseled that it would be the best order to have prayers at the main hatch when the weather would permit. There was some sickness but not much in our family.

20 wind was more favorable. The greater part of the passengers were sick and my mother was bad with a dysentery.

21 we had a strong breeze today and all our people were sick but W. [William] Donald and Robert Wright. We lost sight of land today.

22nd we had a fair wind today and the most of the passengers were still sick. [p.378]

23rd my mother some better. Today numbers are sick yet. The wind from the west.

24th had a strong breeze from the west and a good many sick still.

25th a fine day and sickness nearly disappeared. I got some cayenne pepper from Elder Richards to my mother as she was very bad in a dysentery and I gave her some consecrated oil. This being Sabbath the meeting was opened by Elder Richerds [Richards] and Elder Grenhon [John Greenhow] preached forenoon and Elder Watt in the afternoon. We have had a good day of it.

26 This is the finest day we have had and sickness is almost disappeared.

28 We had strong breeze today. My mother gets better.

29 Calm this morning and St. Mary Island in sight in the afternoon. A [p.379] fine breeze.

30 We passed a ship this morning. Had a fine breeze and mother got better.

October 1st it is calm and the ship lies to the south.

2nd Being Sabbath Elder William R. Mlelenin [McLean] the forenoon. In the afternoon with we sacrament was administered by Elder Greenhow and Watt then, Elder Levi Richards spoke of the Missouri persecution and exhorted the Saints to be faithful. I followed him and bore testimony to what he had said, and in the evening Elders Greenhow and Watt. In the evening mother is well now.

3rd Was a fine day. The captain killed a pig and made a present of some pork to the passengers. We passed another ship and Elder Key [Kay] preached in the afternoon. Elder Wright opened the meeting for him and Elder Greenhow spoke after him.

4th In the forenoon we had some rain. [p.380] In the afternoon and elder gave a lecture on phrenology, another is getting start now.

5th Was a calm and very warm and Elder G.D. Watts gave another lecture on phrenology.

6th A calm and 3 ships in sight. We sighted [-] with her. It was very warm and the captain put up a sail overhead to keep the sun off us. Elder Kay preached and Elder Harison [Richard Harrison] followed him.

7th Had a good breeze ahead and passed 5 ships.

8th It was squally and a good many sick awhile [-]. Brother John Yets [Yates] died early this morning and was committed to a watery grave in the afternoon. Elder Greenhow officiated on the occasion and all the passengers and crew was present the scene was so calm. [p.381] [-] 2 vessels in this morning.

9th Elder Greenhow preached this aft evening on the Book of Mormon. A strong breeze from northeast and some more sick. It being Sabbath but two met in the forepart to have meeting.

10th Fair wind all met in the evening Elder Greenhow preached.

11th A fine day and Elder Richards preached in the afternoon.

12th A fine day and Elder Greenhow spoke on the fulfillment of prophecies which caused some discussion to take place between him and Mr. Brunt a [-] in principle. The [-] got route and insisted that he would not trouble him any more.

13th Was a fine day and in the afternoon one of the sailors fell from the fore yard and never spoke [p.382] again although he lived for ten hours.

14th We had a fair wind today and the flag was put half yard high and at ten the bell tolled and the corpse was [-] into a piece of canvas and a quantity of stones put to his feet. Elder Greenhow was called to officiate, as he did in the usual order and he was committed to his watery grave. The flag was then hoisted to the top of the spanker until 12 o'clock then it was taken down and the seamen then went to work as usual. Afterwards the passengers assembled and Elder Greenhow spoke on the resurrection and the privilege of those that had not the privilege of obeying it in this state of existence that all would have the [p.383] privilege. There was some further discussion between Mr. Brunt and Elder Greenhow.

15th A fine day and the wind fair. In the evening Elder G. D. Watt spoke and showed that the sects of the day could not help the state that they were now in. He also spoke on the gifts of the spirit and showed that there was many false spirits and showed that the Saints might be deceived by the false spirits and showed that we had not as yet got that power that the ancients that the authority that we had received did not authorize us (the elders) to go forth and say to the sick [-] and it shall all be so or to command the waves or the wind and now that it would be so or to the blind receive your sight that we had not that authority conferred on us as [p.384] fore. [-] born and continued to blow through the night.

5th We had the roughest sea that we have had since we started today. The child is still very sick. There are 5 sail in sight today. We have passed the Tertuges Lighthouse. It continues a strong breeze and the wind favor. I have been assisting to serve out provisions this afternoon. Some have been sick today. John Donald took the fever tonight and fell into a fit of the cramps they thought he was dead but the doctor prescribed a warm bath for him so that he got better.

6th This morning was squally Brother [-] child died this morning at 3 o'clock and was committed to the watery grave. Elders Richards and Watt officiated and we intended to have another meeting but [p.385] the weather did not permit as it became squally. 4 sail in sight today. One passed us from New York, passed us about 2 o'clock called the "Ambasender." It continued. Wet and squally through the night. 2 of W. [William] Donald’s Margaret and Helen are in their [-].

7th This morning at 3 it blowed hard and rained and the wind turned ahead today W. [William] Donald’s children are sick today, especially Margaret. Afternoon. She has got a [-] the wind is a little more favorable. The ship lies her course. We had thought to enter the river today by 10 o'clock but the head wind has reverted us. Some are sick yet Sister [Grace] Crier. We are getting the last of our provision served out tonight. The night fine and the wind ahead.

8th The morning fine but the wind still ahead John and Margaret Donald are still sick, some others are still sick. 3 ships in sight. A fine afternoon and the [p.386] [-]

Oct. 16 this being Sabbath and a fine day we had 3 meetings on deck. In the forenoon Elder Watts spoke on the same subject as he did last night and made it more clear and in the afternoon Elder Pareson [Harrison] ended the meeting and gave it up to be occupied by the Saints when I and a number of others bore testimony and in the evening Elders Richards and Pareson [Harrison] spoke.

17th Was a fine day and very warm and in the evening Elder Benson preached.

18th It was calm and Elder Watt went to Elder Greenhow and wished him to be reconciled but he would not. He then proposed to go to him with other 2 but Greenhow said that he would not settle it until they get to Nauvoo. I [p.387] was much grieved to see our heads at variance sickness and death prevailing in our midst and no faith to go to the Lord in the state we was in and knowing that we had no authority to try a high priest. Elder Richards asked in what I thought I said that we could not attend to the sacrament as we were then and I thought that it would be better to just let it stand as they could not be reconciled as it would do much hurt to this that had not obeyed the gospel. In the evening Elder Richards spoke and showed what we might do to preserve our healths, as we were in a climate that required more attention to ourselves than the one that we had left.

19th A gentle breeze and saw some seaweed.

20th A strong breeze ahead and passed a ship.

21st A breeze this morning and some were sick, but it calmer toward night.

22nd A strong breeze. At 9 o'clock it began to storm and thunder and lightning and rained very heavy till one o'clock. In the evening the starboard stencil boom on the fore yard broke.

23rd It was Sabbath. A strong breeze and squally so that a number of the sails was torn so that they had to put up new ones. We were going with reefed topsails.

24th We had a strong from the north and passed another vessel.

25th We had a good breeze today from the north.

26th Light breeze this morning and came by night.

27th Light breeze from southeast. Saw a fire. Calm at night.

28th We had another death this morning at 4 in the morning. She was Sister Canon, the wife of Elder J. Canon, and she was committed to her watery grave at 4 in the afternoon and Elder Greenhow officiated in the usual manner. It was a solemn time. In the evening Elder Greenhow commenced to preach when Elder Richards interfered and told him that he would have to be reconciled to Elder Watt before he could preach. Elder Greenhow showed a very bad spirit but after some conversation acknowledged his fault and Elder Watt was sent for and they were reconciled to the satisfaction and joy of the Saints. Then Elder Greenhow went on with his discourse. The wind rose before the meeting was done, it had been a calm before. [p.390] [NOTE: PROBLEM HERE WITH PAGINATION]

29th A fair breeze today from the east in the evening Elder William McLean preached in the evening.

30th It being Sabbath and coming in the forenoon Elder Hareson [Harrison] opened the meeting and spoke and Elder Greenhow spoke after him. At one o'clock a child of Mr. Kays died in the scarlet fever and was committed to his watery grave at 4 in the afternoon and Elder Greenhow officiated on the occasion. It stormed so that we had no more meeting. We saw a ship in the evening going the same course with us.

31st It was squally this morning so that we had to go with reefed top sails for a short time but it was calm or night and Elder Watt preached. [p.391]

November 1st This morning it was calm. By ten we had a soft breeze. We saw the same ship this morning that we saw on the 30th, supposed to be the "Medford" from Liverpool to New Orleans with passengers under charter by President Feilden. Mr. Kay has another child sick today, thought to be in the fever. In the evening it [-]. Lakie, a priest, preached and we were on the out look for land. In 2 this morning there was a sail in sight on each bow and at 8 o'clock the mate saw land in the region and by 9 o'clock we saw it from the deck it was a real keeper reckoning as we did not need to alter our course any when we saw land neither were they mistaken. In the distance as it was exactly the distance they said. We saw another ship on our starboard side. [p.392] The land was one of the Bohemia Islands, belongs to England the name of this island is Abaca or the hole in the wall. It has a light house and they that keep it are the only inhabitants. It looks green and some trees and bushes, has a rock stand of a little so that there is a gap and the within that a pen goes through so that we could see through and it is called the hole in the wall. Afternoon we are to the south of the island and a light wind but fair and the [-] sails set a ship on our larboard bow. A schooner ahead of us and a ship on our starboard quarter. After night the ship on our larboard bow put up a light which our cabin answered them by putting out a light and he bore down on us by 10 o'clock and she turned out to be the "Rokol" from Liverpool, sailed on the 3 of Oct. had 60 passengers. Told us that the 2nd ship sailed with the Saints on the 21 Sept. and [p.393] the third on the 1 of Oct. Her name was the "Henry." She told us of a great fire at Liverpool since we left. She then parted from us to cross the banks and we are going up Provence Channel with with [SIC] a fine wind.

3rd We had a fine wind this morning. A ship in sight. At noon we were in sight of the brothers 2 rocks so called and big [-] then the hen and chickens. A boy belonging to Mr. Kay died today bout 1 o'clock and I have just been laying hands on another child in the fever. The funeral was at 5 this afternoon. Elder Hareson [Harrison] and Greenhow officiated. We passed the light house on the [-]. This evening we were using the lad line through the night the 4 a fair wind. Today we are in the Florida Gulf. 4 sail in sight, 2 behind and 2 before we are gaining on the one before. We think she is the "Rokol." The child is still sick. We are just passing an island and lighthouse called the Double Head [--] and a fine breeze. Evening it became squally and carried of the [p.394] yet (he spoke this that those on board might learn that we were not sent to do miracles as some thought that we the elders might heal the sick or have raised up the sailor that fell down from the yard and was killed and even some of the Saints had been professing to great power) but exhorted them to contend for the faith of the ancients and that gifts that the Lord had promised to them that believed and he saw that he wished them to understand him. Though that he believed that many had been healed and he knew that others had spoke in the gift of tongues and that others interpreted it and that it was the privilege of all to receive gifts [-] and [p.395] to have a knowledge for themselves but he misled them to understand that the power had not yet been given to them to command this and it should be so. He said that he wished the Saints and elders to know their privileges and not to profess to that which they had not received, but that there was other ordinances yet to attend to when they should receive an endowment from on high and then they would go out with power. Some did not receive and Elder Greenhow after meeting called it all delusion and thought Elder Richards tried to convince him. He still persisted and manifested a very bad spirit and it caused a division amongst the brethren as he spoke very disrespectful of Elder Watt. [p.396] Wind still ahead and we are still in the Gulf. There is a general bustle of preparing to go ashore. A number of the water casks have been taken on deck and taken down and packed up for returning to England. Margaret Donald has been very ill tonight so that she was not expected to live anytime.

9th The wind was leading this morning and a fine day. They see some rough. 4 o'clock afternoon we took the pilot aboard. Margaret Donald is a little better. The evening is fine. The lighthouse in sight and 24 ships. A great bustle about getting ready for landing. About sundown a steam tug took us in tow and took us on the bar. She lay along side until eleven then she tried to get us off again but could not. So she lay until morning.

10th She got ready and the seamen trimmed the vessel and and [SIC] put for it part of the cargo as she was light by the head and after breakfast all the [p.397] passengers went aboard of the tug and she made another exertion but it was all in vain as she never moved her. They hoisted the flag for another steamer so she came and they both tried her again at 12 o'clock but never moved her. So they stopped until after dinner and they tried her again but never moved her, so Daniel Webster left us and the purpose stayed with us. Margaret Donald is very weak and is not expected to live. John is worse and W. [William] Donald Junior has been taken sick this afternoon and is [-]. We are just preparing to have the ship off the bank or to make another exertion. The day has been fine and a number of ships have passed by us up the river. The tug tried again at 6 am, at 10, and 12, but never moved her. I commenced fishing after breakfast and [-----------] began [p.398] to catch some young cat fish and we soon had fish enough. We had fresh fish for supper the first of America we had got.

11th At 3 this morning the steamer got us off the bank and we anchored half past 9 in the mouth of the Mississippi River the seamen were inspected and at 8 o'clock we raised the anchor and started for New Orleans as the wind was fair and sailed until the steam tug "Porpoise" came up to us then she took us in tow to New Orleans and we got there at 12 o'clock at night. They told us that the "Medford" was fast on the bar as she went out to sea to find another ship to tow up along with us, but found none. A great many ships and brigs passed this morning as we lay at anchor [p.399] but the wind got ahead so that when we got ahead so that when we got the steamer we soon passed them. W. [William] Donald's children are all sick tonight.

12th This morning we took the counsel of Elder Levi Richards and we went in search of a house and I carried a letter to a daughter of Petter Fergison [Peter Ferguson] at Aberdeen and her husband told me that Joe Smith had shot or caused the governor of Missouri to be shot and they were trying to take Joe and called him a great imposter. I found several houses to set at 8 dollars per month or 5 for half a month I went back to the ship and got W. [William] Donald and we went and tried a number of places and at last we rented a room for half [p.400] a month for 4 elders. Then we went and carried up the children and their beds and placed them in their lodging, No. 8 Saint Marks Street, opposite Saint Mary’s Market. The rest of us lodged in the ship. Only my mother that stayed to assist them to nurse our president and council were looking out for a boat to take us to St. Louis and they thought that they would take the "Alexander Scott" but did not settle the bargain as they expected the "Medford" and that her passengers would go with us so that we might go the cheaper.

13th This being Sabbath we did not expect to do anything but we were greatly mistaken for the markets and stores were all open and doing business as usual and the carters driven on the same as if any day so we began to see that it was a free country those that want [p.401] to worship can worship can worship [SIC] and those that want to work or pleasure can do so as we saw them drinking and dancing and playing all kind of music and games. As we returned to the ship from W. [William] Donald's lodging his family was a little better as they had got quite a rest and we expect that they will be fit to go up the river again Tuesday. The "Medford" landed at our stern at 1 o'clock and I went aboard and was glad to see some children in the gospel landed on the land of Joseph then Elder Hyde and Richards and others went and settled and learned what the whole company could be taken up for and they found the "Alexander Scott" to give the favorable best offer taken all things into consideration and Elder Hide [Hyde] came aboard our ship and addressed the [p.402] company and told that he was truly thankful to his Heavenly Father that he and his company were safe landed especially for the near escape that they had. Me [-] the steamer blew up that was towing them off the bar at the mouth of the Mississippi River for they stuck on the bar as well as we. He then spoke of our passage up and told us that they had agreed the "Alexander Scott" to take us to St. Louis at 2 ½ dollars each, those under 14 half and under 4 nothing. 100 pounds carried to each and 25 cents per 100 for all extra luggage and showed that she was the best bargain considering all things as be the capstan was to carry a few up that had no money so they seemed to be all reconciled after asking some questions and having them answered although there [p.403] was a good deal of murmuring because they had heard that a boat could be got at 2 dollars per head as there are those that try to break up the company if possible as it breaks their business for they have so much ahead for getting passengers and they try to destroy our plan of chartering a passage.

14th Today we got our permits and prepared to have our goods and luggage examined and to go aboard the steamboat in the afternoon I went to the captain of the "Alexander Scott" and he got the cooks to pass their room to W. [William] Donald's family as we thought to take them along as they looked a little better, so we agreed to pay the cooks 5 dollars for their room during the passage and expected to sail this evening by it rained so that they could not [p.404] get on with the inspection of the passengers luggage so the boat came and took off some passengers from another ship and the captain said he would not wait as they were not ready then the murmuring began again with both Saints and sinners. Then she came along side of us and concluded to stay until morning and when our passengers went aboard and saw her crowded already and no place but amongst the engine the murmuring increased and I thought at one time that they would go and take a passage for themselves W. D. [William Donaldson’s] children not so well today William and Anne seems to be worse. We lodged another night on board the Sidney.

15th I went to town to see W. [William] Donald's family and to conclude about their going. I found William and Anne at the [p.405] fever and I told them that if the children were mine that I would not take them out, neither did I believe if they on the boat knew the state that they were in that they would take them on so they concluded to stay and have my mother to stay with them and the rest of us go up and W. [William] Donald's luggage with us so we put aboard the steamer being inspected by the customs house officer and started at 2 o'clock and most all our company came along but the passengers of the "Medford" was not ready neither was there room for them. She is a fine boat. She is going 16 miles per hour. Our murmuring has ceased and they have concluded to put up with there lot for all the time. The place we are in is just between the engines. One has had a sore throat this 2 day.

16th We [p.406] are going on at a good speed we passed and stopped a few moments at Natchez today at 12 o'clock we are amused with the scenery as we pass along. We see them driving the cotton to the river side for the steamboats to carry to market and we have met a number of boats going down and a number of farmer barges with [-] to New Orleans. They build a barge and loads her down and then sell barge and all. Anne Wright is a little better today. It is wet and foggy this afternoon. We stopped a sort time [at] Vicksburg, landed some passengers and the passengers bought some provisions. They charge higher here for provisions than at New Orleans. 12 o'clock at night when we stopped here and all made well.

17th Today we passed a boat that left New Orleans on Saturday which was 2 days before [p.407] said of the river then they tried to get over but ran aground and we had to build fires and stay by them all night which caused great murmuring and many of the Saints excused themselves in drinking spirits to warm them as they thought some were intoxicated. The night was cold and frost and the ice ran thick in the river.

21st After day light they came ashore with a scow and took the women and children ashore off the boat then they brought out another load of luggage and took the rest of the passengers aboard and then they took out the rest of the luggage and sent the passengers ashore again. The boat started a little, but stuck again so that they took the passengers aboard for the night and let the men go to bed as they had all been on duty for 2 days and a night.

22nd After breakfast all the provisions chests and bedding and cooking utensils and passengers were put ashore again. We raised a fire and cooked our dinner and supper and had a short washing to each of us and in the evening the boat got up and the luggage was put aboard and the passengers went aboard for the night.

23rd Early this morning the boat started, several boats past us while we were on the shore. We sailed [p.408] about 40 miles and [--] to sound and after sounding found that we could not get over so we stopped for the night.

24th The cabin passengers began to leave, some by land and others by boats going past the river is falling a boat coming on from St. Louis. Got snagged a short distance above us and sunk. No prospects of us getting up as the river is still falling and the frost is hard.

25th Cabin passengers were told that they would have to pay for their board if they stayed and the steerage passengers were restricted from burning any more wood belonging to the ship so that some went out and camped and others cut wood and brought it. We took up our abode by the side of an [--]. Stayed there and cooked and kept ourselves warm by gathering wood and keeping on a fire from morn to night and sleeped aboard the boat all night. The weather is fine, but cold and frosty.

26th Passengers are daily leaving, some by other boats going up, some to houses, and others to go up by land, but no chance for our boat as the river still falls. The boat that sunk above us has delivered her cargo and is putting in a bulks head of clay to close the leak so that they may get her off.

27 It is Sabbath today, but no respect is paid to it. Some as they continue to carry off their luggage and rather an extra quantity has been moved today. We [-] [p.409] the mood is light and it looks to be poor sail.

18th We passed the Arkansas River at 2 this morning which is said to be half distance. We had a very cold night of it. Some hail fell last night and it freezes so that the decks are covered with ice. We have had to put on our winter dresses today. Father has not been very well today. Anne [Ann] and Marey [Mary] is better. Petter [Peter] Murphy had his hat and shoes stolen last night and another man had his watch stolen from his berth when he was out at the privy. At ten tonight we stopped a few minutes at Memphis and put ashore some passengers and goods and took on some passengers and bought some provisions, but did with as little as possible as everything was most double price, but bread and we bought little put but bread. We fixed our beds for a winter night so we slept comfortable.

19th This morning frost here, but was calm. The boat stopped at sunrise to [p.410] to [SIC] take in [-]. A number went ashore. Some took guns but shot nothing but a small hawk. One man shot 2 partridges last night. Father is better and all well. We passed a boat at noon stuck on a shoal and seemed to be very fast. We came through where the water was 8 foot. At 2 o'clock a barge came along side and gave us a supply of wood. We have met a great number of barges with produce and cattle. We are sailing along the state of Arkansas on our left and Mississippi on our right. Then we came [to] Missouri on our left and Tennessee and Kentucky on our right.

20th The boat stopped at the mouth of the Ohio River this morning until day light. I drank some water out of the Ohio which was clear and good to drink. We started at day light and through the forenoon we passed through a very snaggy place. There were 4 wrecked boats. Some were snagged and others blown up and burned. In the afternoon we were all put ashore as we had come to a ridge of rock and a shoal called [-]. We was ashore on the Missouri. [ON THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE IS WRITTEN, (turn back leaf) [p.411] My father and us went and looked at a log cabin about half a mile from the ship and we concluded to take it as we intended to go to work and to move the luggage, my father, and the women into a house until the boat got up. In the afternoon, my father and I went to Chester and obtained liberty to occupy the cabin until the boat got up by paying for the wood that we burned from Mr. Col, but two of the name of Boid [Boyd] moved into the same house on Sabbath and took possession of it [28th] and Canon [Cannon] [PROBABLY, George Cannon] went in the morning. I went and told them that we had agreed for the house, but they would not let it go as they said they would pay his asking [price] and stay. I then went Chester to Mr. Col and told him and he said he would come down and turn them out but then went to his brother as he had gone to St. Louis and left his brother to act for him. They went and agreed with him that they might stay and pay what he asked for it. I asked to Mr. Boid [Boyd] in the afternoon and he told me what he had done. I told him that it was very underhand work and that I should know a man by his actions, so we could not get the house. There was a boat called the "Ohio" came down to assist the one that sunk [p.412] to get off so that the hopes was that we might get up with her.

29th We still lie 3 miles below Chester in the state of hellness. We are still living in the woods by day and in the boat a night we get our dinners most every day by shooting and plenty of grapes to pull from the vines that hang on the trees. The game is not very plenty here and it is generally of the small kind such as squirrels and quails, deers turkeys, &c. Prairie hens are seldom to be seen here. It is a poor place here and very little work to be got and wages low as there was no appearance to get away. Elder Richards called the official members of the Church of Jesus Christ to assemble together in a grove by Elder Hareson [Harrison] and when we met there we went to a goly [UNCLEAR], back of a small log cabin occupied by [Thomas] Fairbridge and Kay. Were [went] to the boat. Elder Richards then told them what he had called them together for to know who was to be on the Lord's side and who was not and spoke concerning the transgressions that existed and the violation of the words of wisdom. They did not all appear and we sent for them and while they were gone. There was a proposal that a committee should be appointed to go and by some provision wholesale that the company might obtain it [p.413] cheaper. Elders [Levi] Richards, Watt, [William] McLean, and Harison [Richard Harrison] to buy pork and beef and to bring in for the company the brethren then had come and as it was let, we had no time to go into particulars, but consented to be on the Lord's side and to keep the word of wisdom. The meeting then adjourned until Thursday at 2 o'clock to meet at Elder Boid's [Boyd’s], a half mile from the boat.

30th Today I went in search of work and accompanied Elders [Levi] Richard and Watt and Hareson [Richard Harrison] too, in search of provision. We found that the cheapest we could find was 2 dollars per hundred and on fat for both and I could find no work but was to call in the morning to know if I could get some work to gather corn.

Dec. 1st This morning I started with 2 more to gather corn if it was wanted, but the farmer had but one time, so that he could not employ us. We still live as before and are washing today. At 2 o'clock the council met as agreed. Meeting was opened and the business that had to be done commenced by considering the rest that provisions could be bought at and that the good prices would be more than 2 cents and the bad less so that they could not agree, and taken [p.414] all things, to consideration it was agreed that every one should buy his own the best way he could. The meeting after doing some other business, adjourned to Monday.

Dec. 2nd I went in search of work this morning but found none but agreed with a farmer for a hog. At 2 dollars per hundred I then returned to the boat and found that Elder [Levi] Richards was willing to take the half of the hog Elder Watt went with me to the farmer and chose the one we thought best and he brought it in the evening and we divided it in quarters to different families.

The Dec. 3, I went to see some chopping and my Brother James went with me and we concluded to take it although [p.415] we were only to get 40 cents a cord for chopping. We went home and I concluded to take a days travel into the country to see if I could find any work.

Dec. 4 Being Sabbath, I spent the day at our camp in the wood and at night went aboard of the boat to sleep. As usual, a number of strangers visit us today and much opposed to Joseph Smith and the Mormons. One gentle man entered into conversation with Elder [Levi] Richards and he said he had found one candid Mormon. I said if he would make inquiry he would find the most of them candid men and Joseph Smith was as candid a man as ever he met with. I told him that I had proven that for myself.

Dec. 5 This morning I started with my brother Robert Wright for the 6 mile prairie for a distance of 20 miles. We got there little after sun down and as we knew no person save a Mr. [William] Brunt who came on the ship Sidney with us from England who had bought Mr. Hind’s [p.416] farm and knowing that Mr. Hind was a Latter-day Saint I though of lodging there and we began to inquire for Mr. Hinds, but we was yet some way from his farm. As it got dark we called at a Mr. Crows to inquire the way and he said as it was dark we might lay [-] our gun and stay for the night. I thanked him and said we would be glad of the chance. So we sat down and after speaking few words he asked me if I was a Latter-day Saint. I said I was. He said he should be very happy to spend the evening with a brother, so I felt quite at home and enjoyed their company through the evening and after attending to family worship went to bed

Dec. 6 After breakfast I and my brother started for Brother Hinds and as we went we met him by the way and his wife, Sister Hind on horse back going to Brother Cros [POSSIBLY: Crows] to get him to go to the squire’s as a witness for he gave us to understand that Mr. [William] Brunt had gone back on his bargain and had gone yesterday to the land office to enter 3 forties, one of them occupied by Brother Hind. He thought to [p.417] enter but B [Brother] Hind had entered it himself I went with him and visited Brother Castle returned to B [Brother] Crows for the night.

7th Called at B [Brother] Hinds in the morning and saw Mr. [William] Brunt and Rigbey [PROBABLY: Job Rigby] and families. I then with Robert for the boat "Alex Scott" at the mouth of Mary’s River. Went by Brownstown and Gorden's Mill found no employment and as night over took us we took lodging at squire Jeffres [Jeffries] and agreed with him for some corn meal at 3 bits per bushel and agreed to cut saw logs and take a whip saw for pay if the boat stopped to let us have time.

8th We then went down to the boat and related our journey.

9th Today I and father Johns [John] Wright and Spenc [Spencer] went with me to see the saw. Father stayed overnight to come down with him [-] [p.418] in the morning with the meal and we went home and found that the boat was going to start tomorrow for St. Louis.

Dec. 10 This morning I started early and went to Squire Jeffres [Jeffries] to bring home father and the squire came with us and brought us some corn meal. The fires we had the boat raised her steam and backed down the river. All the cargo luggage and passengers were taken out and carried up above the mouth of Mary River, half a mile by horse boat. I stayed on the steam boat to assist the men as they were but few, so after getting over the bar we took the cargo and luggage aboard.

11th Being Sabbath, we started for St. Louis and got a flat boat in tow with us and when we came to shoals the passengers went on to the flat boat. We passed some grand scenery on the Missouri side. The rocks looked like the doors and pillars of ancient towers and 3 shot [p.419] towers and passed a sunk steamboat. We landed at St. Louis a little after dark. Elder Greenhow came aboard for he had gone before us and told me that William Donald was in St. Louis and 4 of his children was dead and he had one born. Elder Greenhow left us to go to Nauvoo but he stopped at St. Louis and he put a piece in one of the St. Louis newspaper stating that a number of the passengers were starving and implicating the captain and officers for not getting the boat up which was not the case and Elder Richards felt it his duty to contradict it by putting a letter in the same paper stating the circumstance as it was signed by as many as was willing to give their names as I did for one. Elder [John] Greenhow took me to William Donald's house when I was glad to them and mother. After spending a short time we [p.420] returned to the boat for the night.

12th Today we went to W. [William] Donald's and found [them] about as we left them, his wife poorly and the child very weak being born in the 8 month. Their room was very uncomfortable and their week out today, so that they had to move at [-] so we went to find out if we could get up the river. We found that we could only get up to Alton a distance of 29 miles and that there was only one boat, the "Inda" going up so I went to the captain of her and father and W. [William] Donald went to look at a house but not to settle with it until I returned. I found that the "Inda" was going and I agreed with the captain to carry us and our luggage for a dollar per head. I returned to W. [William] Donald's as I agreed to meet them [p.421] [came] and waited some time but none of them so I went down to the "Alex Scott" steamboat and Misters Richards Hareson [Harrison] and others and by inquiring we found that wood and rent was cheaper at Alton than at St. Louis, so they concluded to go up and as many as was a mind to go with them. As I started with them to go to the boat again to see the captain and he agreed to take as many as could go at a dollar per head and carry their luggage free. We met Elder John Greenhow as we went and he assailed Elder Richards for opposing his letter in the St. Louis paper. He, Elder Greenhow, manifested a very bad spirit. I left Richards, Harison [Harrison] and Carter who came on the 2 ship with him as I was hurried to let them know that we could get a boat and to see if they were to go or if they had taken a house. When I came to the boat I found that they had taken a house for a week and paid it but [p.422] that they could get it back if they wanted. So W. [William] Donald and a Scotsman of the name of Rossarho [UNCLEAR POSSIBLY: Rosnaho] pretended to be their friend but took them in as they found out afterwards. Elder Richards went with the "Inda" boat to Alton and Hareson [Harrison], Kay and Nixon and Smith with their families went with him and the rest stayed at St. Louis. We got a dray and took up our beds and provisions to our room in 7th street.

13th I went in search of work but found none.

12th I went again in search of work, heard of some wood to cut. After making further inquiry I found that they had engaged all the hands they wanted was offered at the levee several squares of wood that lay in a float in the river, but I had to wade in the river to the knees, so I did not take it.

15th I continued my [p.423] search and went to all the quarries that I could find but found no more so I returned and went to 4 uncans [UNCLEAR] and found them uncenen [UNCLEAR] at one dollar and 6 bits for strong butts and other cloths as cheap as in Britain.

16th I and by Brother James Wright started for Alton, crossed at upper ferry, paid a picayane for crossing the river. Walked to Alton, got there and was conducted to the Mansion House [in Nauvoo] by Brother Price and Peter Murphy. Got supper with Brother Nixon and I slept with Elder [Levi] Richards. . . . [p.424]

BIB: Wright, Alexander. Journal 1839 Mar.-1843 Jan. [LDS Church Archives, Ms 8284 fd. 1, pp. 374-387, 390-424; Acc. #33610] (HDA)

Sidney Depart: 17 Sep 1842 Liverpool, England

Arrive: 11 Nov 1842 New Orleans, Louisiana

The George Cannon Family

Sedgwick Research Home